Well, after much thought, discussion, and prayer I’ve decided that I need a bit of a break from Ubuntu development. I’ve been averaging something around 50 hrs a week in the community for well over a year now and given that I have a wife, a house, and a PhD to finish, I just got burned out. I’ve really enjoy all the work and I can’t even express how much I love this community, but I have other responsibilites that unfortunately I’ve been neglecting.
So, what exactly am I doing? Well, for the next month or so I plan to:
- get rid of IRC. IRC is one of the best communication tools in development, but it also is my #1 time waster. I also “gain” a lot of work by being on IRC because I hate to see people’s requests go unanswered.
- get rid of non-essential mailing lists. I’m getting too much email to sanely deal with it within a reasonable time.
- step away from some projects. Unfortunately there are way too many exciting and worth-while projects in Ubuntu and FLOSS in general. I easily get sucked into them.
- focus on the remaining projects. I want to do better at the projects I do keep and with the time I have available.
- get a real life, or rather renter the one I used to have.
So here’s where I need your help. I would love to have some people interested in taking over some things for me, at least for a while. Please contact me if your interested in:
- looking after the Ubuntu Packaging Guide as it hasn’t been updated much for some time.
- Behind MOTU interviews. I can post them, but I need people to actually get volunteers/victims and send the interviews.
- Edubuntu documentation. I’m maintaining the packaging but I don’t have time to write content. This is some really needed and exciting work.
- MOTU Science team needs some cleanup of it’s wiki page.
- Ubuntu TeX team could use some love, both forwarding bugs upstream and making sure we are in sync with Debian.
So, bottom line, I’m not gone but my involvement in some areas (pretty much everything but Edubuntu packaging/development) will be greatly reduced. If you are interested in any of the above projects or need to get in touch with me just email me at mantha at ubuntu.com . Sorry it has to be this way but Ubuntu is just too addictive 😉